Hoy Sun Ning Yung Association/Ning Kui Kong Wue Association
972 Chung King Rd, Los Angeles, CA 90012
The original name for Taishan County was Xinning County, a county defned with low hills in the
outskirts. There were three (3) counties within China ft into this description; therefore all were named
as Xinning County. To distinguish from other Xin-ning County, the name was later modifed as Taishan County in 1914. With overlapping ranges of high mountains and limited cultivable land, industry was non-existed. Supply of labors well exceeded the demand. The chaos from the 1842 Opium War and the 1850 rebellion against the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom created further devastation as people had no means to make a living. It just happened that the US needed labor force to start up the western railroad work. This dream of gold fortune tempted many Chinese to leave the homeland and arrive in US for labor work. People from Taishan were the pioneer and frst wave of these overseas Chinese. Once arrived in the US, language barrier and un-accustomed to the foreign land made life very difcult, therefore requiring them to be united. In 1954, besides the Hoy Sun Ning Yung Association headquarters established in San Francisco, there were many other Hoy Sun Ning Yung Association branches in other cities. This made it second to none in terms of association size and geo- graphic statistics.
The Los Angeles Hoy Sun Ning Yung Association was established in College Street in January 27, 1929 with a joint participation from its fraternal partner Hoy Sun Ning Kui Kong Wue Association. The main objective was to strive for homeland beneft, uphold traditional spirits, promote Chinese culture and advocate democracy freedom.
In winter of 1949, Ning Yung Association President Zun Xiang Liu, Ning Kui Kong Wue Club President Yao Wen Huang and Building Committee member Fu Chang Liu proposed the preparation of building site, thus forming the Baizihui (Hundreds of Children’s Club) to begin the purchase of building. The donation team was divided into 5 groups, led by Guang Yan Huang, Zun Xiang Liu, Fa Jun Lei, Hua Xiu Li and Ji Huo Zhu. They visited several cities for fund raising campaigns. Support from the Wuyi Overseas Chinese made this charity affair easy to achieve. In August 12, 1956 (lunar year July 7th), it conducted the building’s grand opening ceremony.
In May 1958, the lion dance group was being organized. Situated within the complex US society, it was good to promote the Chinese culture and elevate the national sport level. With Zun Xiang Liu and Bai Quan Huang as the head of the group, and Yi Ping Huang as the director, this lion dance group showed oﬀ its skills during New Year with dazzling display of strength, to discredit this “sick man of East Asia” slogan.
In accordance with the regulations, Los Angeles Hoy Sun Ning Yung Association establishes one President, two Vice Presidents, a Chinese and English secretary. Same applies to Ning Kui Kong Wue Association, as it establishes one Club President, two Club Vice Presidents, Treasurer, and secretary. Council has Chairman and Vice Chairman, 21 senators, plus Building Management Committee. The above as-mentioned ofcials carry a term of one year with no more than two terms served consecutively. Voting for ofcials occurs in November each year. All administrative expenditures relied on donations. Each year will celebrate New Year Eve, New Year, Spring Banquet, Dragon Boat Festival and Mid-Autumn Festival, in order to provide close interaction and friendship buildup among all members. In 1995, Hoy Sun Ning Yung Association successfully conducted the all US National Convention in Los Angeles. In March 23, 2019, it also celebrated its 90th anniversary.